Proposed Changes to the SERRA Bylaws (2015)
The following SERRA bylaw changes were proposed at the SERRA Annual General Meeting on Thursday, April 23. Reasons for the changes include the following:
– The Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto no longer exists and the bylaws already include the words “City of Toronto”.
– SERRA wishes to follow the example of other residents associations which have associate membership categories for supporters to contribute financially or work as volunteers.
– The existing bylaws make no mention of email or websites.
– Canadian privacy legislation today does not allow SERRA to give out lists of members to anyone.
Article 1: Name and Objects – to be amended as follows
Replace the word “will” with the word “shall”.
Article 2: Head Office – to be amended as follows
Remove the words “in the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto”.
Article 4: Membership – to be amended as follows
Add the following words: “SERRA members in good standing who cease to be residents or ratepayers of the South Eglinton area may continue to be members of SERRA, but shall not have the right to vote at the Annual General Meeting and such other General Meetings of SERRA as may be called. The SERRA Board of Directors may also issue similar non-voting memberships to persons who are not residents or ratepayers of the South Eglinton area but who wish to support SERRA’s activities.”
Article 10: Notice – to be amended as follows
– Add the following words as new subsection 4: “sent by email to the email address as recorded in the Corporation’s records;”
– Delete the word “monthly” from the existing subsection 4 and renumber this existing subsection 4 as subsection 5.
– Add the following wording as new subsection 6: “posted on the home page of Corporation’s website”;
Article 12: Amendments – to be amended as follows
Replace the words “the Secretary of the Corporation is to provide an up-to-date mailing list to such member to enable such member to comply with the requirements herein” with the words “the member is to provide the Secretary with such amendment with 14 clear days notice and the Secretary is to provide proper notice (at least seven clear days) to all members.”NOTE
The changes to the bylaws described above were approved at the Annual General Meeting on April 23, 2015